Welsh National Opera (WNO) is today one of the UK’s leading opera companies with a growing international reputation that will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2021. WNO’s output includes world class productions, award-winning community and education programmes, concerts, broadcasts and digital activities. A company of over 250 people and £18m turnover, it is today an ensemble of passionate and committed musicians, artists, craftspeople, technicians and administrators. At its heart sit the Company’s two full time ensembles, the Chorus and Orchestra. The company’s funding structure is unique amongst large-scale arts organisations in the UK as it receives its core funding from both the Arts Council of Wales and Arts Council England. The company performs at its home base – the state-of-the-art Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff and tours in Wales and England performing to over 120,000 people each year.
Driven by its values of Expert, Collaborative, Smart, Innovative and Inclusive and its mission to bring the power, drama and raw emotion of opera to as wide an audience as possible, in performances marked by an uncompromising quest for artistic quality, it is seeking to appoint 3 new trustees to its Board; one of whom will be the Senior Independent Director (SID). Role
- Supporting the Chair and Board to lead WNO and maintain its distinct identity, you will provide sound, relevant leadership experience to input to Board deliberations and act as a ‘sounding board’ to the visionary ideas of the executive and artistic team
- Ensuring WNO succeeds as Wales’ national opera company by supporting the executives and Company through experience, networks, and mentoring, you will also act as an effective ambassador for WNO and contribute to successful stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrating the right leadership behaviours to support a positive culture of innovation, growth, and collaboration within the Company, and sharing Board responsibilities for identifying and implementing the right strategic direction, consistent with WNO’s national and international ambitions, you will also play an active role in WNO’s search for funding and sponsorship in order to attract significant private funding
- With a strong interest in opera and an empathy with WNO and its objectives and a willingness to engage in fund-raising activities in partnership with the development team, you will be a fluent communicator who can represent the organisation externally
- You will possess some understanding of the publicly-funded context of WNO and its relationship with Welsh Government through Arts Council of Wales and with Arts Council England
- You will be committed to ensuring diversity throughout the organisation, able to contribute in a collaborative manner to ensure productive discussion and debate at board level, exercise good judgement with strong leadership and inter-personal skills and appreciate the non-executive nature of the role but with a readiness to support and
Mentor the senior executive team as appropriate
In addition, WNO is looking for specific skills from amongst its new appointees:
- Political and current affairs
- Commercial and business relationships
- Cultural change and HR
- Grassroots/community engagement
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org noting GT_WNO_0182 in the subject line, and attach a copy of your CV and cover letter.
All applications will be acknowledged.
First stage interviews (conducted by Goodson Thomas): early-mid August 2019 Final interview: 16 or 17 September 2019
Successful appointees will be expected to attend the 27 September 2019 meeting of the Board.
Welsh National Opera is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity. We encourage people from any background to apply for vacancies. We are committed to creating a workforce and board which is representative of society and brings together people with a variety of skills and experiences to help shape what we do and how we work. We are particularly keen to hear from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) and disabled candidates.
Welsh National Opera is an Equal Opportunities Employer and a Registered Charity.